Victor Vekselberg's biography
- He was born on April 14, 1957 , in Drogobych of Lvov region
of the Ukraine SSR (now Ukraine).
- In 1979 he graduated with honour the faculty of automation
and computer engineering of the Moscow Railway Transport Engineering
Institute (MIIT) and got a specialty of system engineer. After that
he entered the post-graduate course at the Computing Centre of USSR
Academy of Sciences.
- In 1978 – 1990 he worked at the Special Design Office of Rodless
Pumps (OKB BN) “KONNAS”. Later he took the positions from a technician
to a research manager.
- In 1988 he founded NPO KomVek (“Vekselberg’s company”) (research
and production company) that cooperated with Irkutsk Aluminium Plant.
- Starting from 1990 he became a founder and a manager of TO
firm KAM (research activity), TOO OLIMP (popular schooling).
- From 1991 to 1996 he was a Senior Deputy Director-General
of ZAO Renova (closed joint-stock company) that was founded together
with Leonard Blavatnikom – his fellow-student who gave up the institute
and emigrated to USA. Two thirds of shares were owned by NPO KomVek
and one third was owned by the investment fund Access Industries, Inc.
belonging to Blavatnik.
- In the middle of 1990 he started to purcgase shares of aluminium
- In 1996 he participated in the foundation of OAO Siberia-Ural
Aluminium (open joint-stock company) (SUAL) that incorporated Irkutsk
and Ural Aluminium Plants. During the 1990s SUAL incorporated Bogoslovsky
and Kandalakshsky aluminium plants, Kamensk-Uralsky metallurgical plant,
- From 1996 – 2000 he was a Director-General of OAO Siberia-Ural
Aluminium Company (SUAL), and at the same time a Director-General of
- In 1996 ZAO Renova under the Vekselberg’s management started
to purchase shares of oil companies.
- Starting from September 1997 he was a member of the Board
of Directors of OAO Tyumen Oil Company (open joint-stock company) (TNK).
- Starting from April 1998 he was a Chairman of the Board of
Directors of OAO Tyumenneftegas (open joint-stock company).
- Starting from June 1998 he was a member of the Board of Directors
of OAO Nizhnevartovskneftegas (open joint-stock company).
- From July 1998 to April 2002 he was a first vice-president
and Deputy President of TNK.
- From September 2000 to January 22, 2003 he was a President
of OAO SUAL-Holding.
- Starting from July 2001 he was a director on strategic planning
and corporate development of OAO TNK.
- Starting from April 2002 he was a President of OAO TNK.
- Starting from January 2003 he is a Chairman of the Board of
Directors of OAO SUAL-Holding.
He is also
- - a Chairman of the Board of Directors of ZAO Renova and OAO RUSIA
- - a member of the Board of Directors of OAO SUAL, OAO Irkutsky Aluminium
Plant, OAO SIDANKO;
- - a member of the Coordinating Council of Metallurgical Complex of
the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of the RF;
- - a member of the Commission on Federal, Interregional and Regional
Social and Economic Policy under the Chairman of the RF Federation Council;
- - a director of the Russian Union of Manufacturers and Businessmen
(employers) – RSPP(r);
- - full academician of the International Academy of Science on Ecology,
Human and Nature Safety (MANEB).
He is an author of a number of scientific publications and
inventions in the field of automation in oil producing industry.
He is married and has a son and a daughter. His family lives
in New York.
As a hobby he mentions poetry. His favourite poet is Leonid
He is Russian according to his passport.